Owners of vehicles without an environmental sticker in categories M2, M3, N1, N2 and N3 (vans, lorries and buses) required to the exercise their professional activity, and who have paid sufficient contributions to be within five years of reaching the legal retirement age may apply for inclusion in the Register and obtain temporary authorisation to drive in the low emissions zones.
The applicant must be a natural person who owns the vehicle and meets the following requirements:
- Owner of a van, lorry, bus or coach which constitutes a necessary instrument for exercising their professional activity.
- On 31 March 2023, they must have no more than five years of contributions left to make to the Special Scheme for Self-Employed Workers (RETA), the General Social Security Scheme, or an alternative scheme, to reach the legal retirement age.
- Not having reached retirement age at the time of application and being registered for employment.
Only one vehicle may be registered by the same applicant and authorisations are not transferable to other vehicles.
Interested parties must apply for the inclusion of their vehicles on the Register. Once the requirements have been validated, the applicant will be notified that the vehicle has been included on the Register and will then have temporary authorisation to drive within the low emissions zones.
Online, with digital identification:
Fill in the registration request form available on this website.
Attach the employment history report.
Sign the request form electronically and send it. Click here to consult the accepted forms of digital identification.
By traditional Post Office mail:
The vehicle owner has to fill out and sign the application form.
Sign it and enclose any required documents.
Send the application by postal service to:
Registre d'autoritzacions ZBE
Departament de parc mòbil
Àrea Metropolitana de Barcelona
C/ 62, núm. 16-18, Zona Franca
08040 Barcelona (Spain)
Metropolitan OAC Office: Carrer 60, núm. 19 Floor Level, Zona Franca, 08040 Barcelona.
(Business days, Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 14:00).
By appointment only. Check here
The following documents are required to register a vehicle:
- Signed application on an official form (in person, by post or online).
- Declaration that the vehicle is a necessary instrument for exercising your professional activity (included in the registration form).
- An employment history report issued within the last three months to prove you are registered with the social security system and the number of years you have paid contributions.
If consultation with other government authorities is permitted and such consultation is satisfactory, no further documentation is required. If such consultation is refused, the applicant must submit a copy of the following additional documentation:
- ID document (national identity document -DNI-, foreigner identity number -NIE-, passport) of applicant
- Vehicle registration certificate
- Vehicle data sheet
A ruling on the vehicle registration (accepted, refused or incomplete) will be issued within 15 working days of the application. During this period, for as long as confirmation of registration has not been received, the vehicle will not be registered and will not be exempted from the driving restrictions.
The authorisation is valid for one year and may be renewed annually for a maximum period of 5 years and, in all cases, up to 31 March 2028.
There is no fee for this procedure.
Regulation of the Metropolitan Register of Foreign Vehicles and Other Vehicles Authorised in Low Emissions Zones.